Review: Cadian Blood - Aaron Dembski-Bowden


Title Cadian Blood
Author Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Pages 347
Year 2009
Reading Time 12 (December 2009)
Rating 8.5 out of 10

If this is not the first time you come to my blog you know I own every single book Black Library has published. Since the first book First and Only to even the older ones published by Baxtree. I am an avid reader of warhammer fantasy but 40k has always been a thorn on my foot. I read some books but most of them I just have them here on my shelf. I don't know why...
One of the series I always read it as soon as I received was the Imperial Guard novels. And this one was no exception. Having loved all of them (I have reviews of most of them here, others are just in waiting) I grabbed and read it. I read it in 12 calenders days but I read another book inbetween...

The story begins with an Imperial Shrine World is blighted by Chaos an falls to the Curse of Unbelief. (It turns into somekind of zombies). Since this is a Shrine World ranks of Imperial Guard (several units from several worlds) go to reclaim and scourge Chaos from Kathur. 40K is all about Space Marines but I always appreciated more the Imperial Guard.

The book sucks you into some disturbing graphic descriptions of a plagued world and we almost feel what the Imperial Guard feels when they are travelling throughout the streets of the capital. It's very vivid. Dembski-Bowden is quite good. Maybe that is why he has published already not only this book but also Soul Hunters (Night Lords novel) also Throne of Lies an audiobook, Hellreach (Templars vs Orks) Orks and one will come soon called First Heretic set in Horus Heresy. So each book each faction... What's next? An Eldar book? Maybe Necrons or what? IF all books are from this standard then he's got my support.

Well I was going off topic, sorry about that.

The fighting doesn't stick to the streets of the capital but also on space as a Fleet of Chaos Space Marines tries to get to the ground. Then the Space Marines appears and in some way they try to help the Imperial Guard, specially the pyschic. Some books fail in the end with the ending but not this one. I Thought it was a remarkable ending with sacrifices and I get the feeling it was not an easy task. The 88th Cadian Shock Troopers were truly interesting soldiers who fought hard even when the difficulties come from all sides. Not only the zombies, chaos marines but also from within their higher ranks.

I would recommend this book to anyone who like 40k or military-sci-fi. Keep them coming Herr Dembski-Bowden

Comments