Review: Population Zero - Wrath James White

Title -Population Zero
Author - Wrath James White
Year - 2009
Stand Alone or Series - Stand Alone
Pages - 105
Reading Time - August 2011


Synopsis
An intense sadistic tale of how one man will save the world through sterilization. When Todd was just a child, he learned that sometimes it was necessary to sterilize or euthanize animals in order to keep their population from growing too rapidly. It was the humane thing to do, the best thing for the environment. Yet, every day at his job at the Welfare Department, Todd sees the dregs of humanity multiplying unchecked, overburdening the earth with a tidal wave of waste, abuse, and cruelty. But if he can convince them not to reproduce, if he can convince everyone to voluntarily sterilize themselves, then he might just prevent the coming population explosion. And those who can't be convinced... Population Zero is the story of an environmental activist named Todd Hammerstein who is on a mission to save the planet. In just 50 years the population of the planet is expected to double. But not if Todd can help it. From Wrath James White, the celebrated master of sex and splatter, comes a tale of environmentalism, drugs, and genital mutilation.

Review
From time to time I read a novel that suprises me. I read Drachenfels and I was suprised by the tale. I cursed myself why I didn't read it before because it's excelent. The Mark of Chaos or even Pawn of Chaos are another examples. These were nice books that I would recommend to anyone who like fantasy or a good book. But this novel I wouldn't reccommend to many people... mayhaps my girlfriend.

To summarise, this book got blood, sadism, castration, force abortion, psychopaths, world problems and dozen other things. Each chapter would scare someone that I know. From the first killing, to the first "birth" procedure or even the killing of the infants. Most people I know would burn this book with each passing chapter.

I like the book but I don't want to read it again any time soon. The novel (novella) is divided in twenty-four chapters each with four of five pages. We follow the descent of Todd to dementia as he tries to "help" society. First is just words as he tries to make men and woman from lower society of america become sterile, sugestion abortation an such. Then he goes up another level as he begins to makes the procedures himself. Then the killing began... Then comes the crazy part.

This novel is quite good as we watch him transform, as he struggles with his past and present and questions his actions.

One thing that made it more interesting is that this book was written by a african-american guy and even if Todd is white, he talks about the lower society of america as he tells us the problems with it such as overpopulation, people applying for funds instead of working, abortation and other such things.

The ending of this tale was my least favourite part. I didn't enjoy how it ended. I really hoped for more and it was anti-climatic. But it didn't spoil the all reading experience.

Summary
To whom I advice? As I said. to my girlfriend and to anyone who enjoys gore, bizarre and isn't easily touch by some graphic images of babies being cutten from their mother wombs and such... 8/10

Comments