Stranger Things - Prequel to the actual Review

First of all... 

Let me talk about something personal and why this show is probably the best one I saw in ten years. Bear in mind that I am 35 and so, I was born in the 1980.

After watching this movie I was a little sad... well I was more than a little sad. I was really sad - nostalgic is the right word I think. This show made me realize that my childhood and until 19/20 I did nothing you could call interesting... This is not a self-piety bear in mind but a realization that my country until the coming of the internet was mostly backward existence... 

We only had 2 channels on TV and so we had some cartoons in the morning (1 hour or so) and then one hour in the afternoon. The series were always at night and we weren't allowed to see them. In the weekend we would see series like Macgyver, A-Team, Michael Knight and Kit and other similar shows. 

Magic & D&D and other cool stuff were very very limited. So limited that I only heard of them when I was 18 - I think the first store to opened was in late 90's... or something like that. We learn about stuff because the friend of the friend saw in other country...

We didn't knew what was anime. We watch some japanese looking cartoons but we didn't called it anime. That word wasn't known... Only with Fnac opening we learn that there were things called Anime and so much different cartoons and magazines...  

Horror movies? What? My first recollection is watching Jaws when I was 8/9 - damn nightmares I had... In the portuguese TV were very rare to pass a Horror movie, or fantasy or Sci-Fi... From time to time....

But moving a bit backwards... I still remember that the first book I have ever read (besides those for school) was one my brother came home with from school (never learn how he did it) called "Citadela do Caos" - The Citadel of Chaos. We played it with dice and stuff. I remember I was 9/10. Awesome book. Still have it. Made my grandmother buy one Goosebumps, or Fighting & Fantasy (if available) or one Portuguese series called "Uma Aventure" like those English or american "The Five". From 8/9 until I was 14/15 this was all I knew... then for a while I was only interested in playing videogames in my friend's house... Until I was 18/19 when I got my first computer with a 48K internet... yeah pretty quick. 

But besides all interesting I knew nothing of Fantasy worlds of Sci-Fi novels per se... Only when I got  21/22 I was study in lisbon and went to Bertrand, Fnac and other stores and I bought and read my first fantasy novel from Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman called Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Dragonlance) and from that moment on I learn there were more things. I bought Tolkien and other Portuguese translated stuff.  Later on I got dissapointed to Portuguese translation so I learn of a store we could get the books in english and thus my current 3200 plus books library exist...

All because of Dragonlance and mostly because of Raistlin Majere. My favorite character of all time. 

Nowadays, after reading a thousand books, watched dozen of animes, hundreds of series and films I still feel a bit incomplete and thus I try harder to see more or to read more.

I recently discover board games, which again, have been around for decades which is very lame.. 

My final thoughts come to this conclusion... technology and internet are good. Make us know more and more... but of course all those things can be bad as well. When I was eight, nine I would go to the streets to play and nobody thought about anything bad but nowadays we know pedophiles are out there, gangs, drugs - there is such insecurity thanks to our knowledge as well... Ignorance is bliss?

Well, these last few sentences are a bit of rambling of my mind... What I wanted to say is that this movie make me think and there aren't that many who make me think. In the top 3 of all times... There are classics that will stay up there but I know they suck nowadays.. Macgygver, A-Team and the rest are slow pacing, nothing bad happenend (do you remember any of these shows being a dead person?) Yeah I can't remember either...  When death appeared it would be meaningful...
Space Battleship Yamato

I remember watching dozen of cartoon series in TV... most of them american. Good guys vs bad guys - spoiler alert - good guys ALWAYS won.


Then one day I start watching on "Channel 2" at 14:00 (2:00PM) I remember so vividly, I was 12 or 13 or something like that, and watching a anime, which I didn't knew it was called anime, of a battleship travelling towards another galaxy.. It was called Space Battleship Yamato. In these show good guys suffer a lot - they died for Pete's sake. That was so strange... To these days I talk about that show changed my perspective on good or evil and there was something inbetween... the grey. And that good guys could do evil deeds and vice versa... Nowadays are way common grey characters. There aren't that many Light or Dark characters in good shows... They are always grey. When a character is perfect being of light people feel disconnected to them - it happened with Superman. Again sidetracked...

This is a rambling and I hope you could understand something I was talking about... This show made me remember things and made me talk about it which is not that often.
Space Battleship Yamato - Crew

My next post will be the actual review...

Comments