Movie Review: Kairo (2001) October Horror Fest (32)

So I watched 32 movies and not 31. Well to be frank I watch 33. But the other one I can consider Horror. Review to come..

I thought about what would be my last movie and I thought, what about ending as I've started? And so, I watch Kairo! Kairo is the Japanese version of Hollywood Pulse. The version of Kairo is quite different from Pulse. 

With Pulse they try to emulate Kairo but at the same time had to give us some selling points. The beautiful girls, the romance  and some spooky (but cliches) situations - nevertheless it was a good movie. Kairo is quite different in many ways. Whereas Pulse deals in a time where technology is part of us Kairo

was made in 2001 and at time the Internet was not so common as today. I remember in Portugal we had dial-up (56Kbs) and it was in 2003/2004 that we had the means to have a internet service with velocities of 512Kbs or 1Mb - but they were very expensive like 35€ or more for a service. 11 years in the future for that price you have a service of TV, Telephone and NET with 100Mb - Great leap of evolution... But enough of that. We you've a world where Net was not so common and you could make some spooky movies and this one deals with the discovery of some spirits trying to invade the human world through the internet. After all, what's the internet? can you unplug it? can you turn it off? Where are all sites located? Well... some
interesting questions...


In this movie we follow two groups of people as they start to investigate why their friends are behaving strangely. Some are disappearing and others are committing suicide. One thing this show did gave us and that's why I didn't felt more immerse on the story was the scale of it all... I know it was worldwide but they never say anything about it.

One thing I didn't understood was why some people commit suicide while others disappear in that black dust... And the red tape... Why? And the ending made me feel strange... Eternal Loneliness...

I understand the purpose of this movie... it was a warning of something that happens nowadays... It's strange seeing now this, but this was made in 2001 remember and this movie deals with the loneliness and how people become ghosts even through connecting into technology like internet or mobile phones...

Don't expect that real moments of shock (there are no gore by the way) but it's two hours of a movie that grows in horror and unease. It will chill your bones...

I will have to say two things... First this is not an american movie and it wasn't made for them. Sorry people. This is slow pace and with deep psychological effect. Watch it in one go, I couldn't do it but that's my life. Advisable to anyone who wants to have a nice slow ride into the darkest world of technology.... Forever Death is Eternal Loneliness...

Comments